Sunday, April 15, 2012

One last look at universities and their failed purpose of education

This will be the last of the three blogs dealing with college indoctrination--at least for now. I'm sure the problem will continue until parents wake up and spend their money more wisely by choosing schools that place a priority on education rather than indoctrination.

There are so many reasons why it's bad to teach just one political position as correct. here's one. Excluding from the curriculum those ideas that depart from the progressive agenda implicitly teaches students that conservative ideas are contemptible and unworthy of discussion. Don't these lefties see that this one-sided approach to education harms them too since it keeps them from open-mindedness and the ability to see other viewpoints?

Imagine a world where these brainwashing techniques were gone in colleges. There would be long-term political benefits. Liberal education equips students with intellectual skills valued by the marketplace. It prepares citizens to discharge civic responsibilities in an informed and deliberate manner. It fosters a common culture by revealing that much serious disagreement between progressives and conservatives revolves around differing interpretations of how to fulfill America's promise of individual freedom and equality. All this would be a huge benefit to our society.

The sad thing is that the administration is part of this problem. A recent report states, "UC administrators, far from performing their role as the university's quality control mechanism, now routinely function as the enablers, protectors, and even apologists for the politicized university and its degraded scholarly and educational standards." This is so frustrating.

But it's more than frustrating--it's illegal. In California, it's a violation of the law. Article IX, Section 9, of the California state constitution provides that "The university shall be entirely independent of all political or sectarian influence and kept free therefrom." Wow, what a concept--a free and independent university.

The politicization of higher education by activist professors and compliant university administrators deprives students of the opportunity to acquire knowledge and refine their minds. It also erodes the nation's civic cohesion and its ability to preserve the institutions that undergird democracy in America. Let's hope change will come to the People's Republic of California.

1 comment:

  1. I've now read your three blog posts on this topic. I appreciate this last post, especially.

    I am finding that it is easy to go along with whatever views are presented, which makes it very important to understand where the information is coming from. I find that regardless of where information comes from, if there is any bias in it, other viewpoints are diminished and attacked rather than honestly discussed.

    I really do not have a solid understanding of many topics, so when I attempt to learn, I have to be careful of where I go to be taught.

    I am realizing, with time, that my own learning is best when many viewpoints are discussed. I am learning to ask questions rather than just attacking another side. That might have to do with how my parents raised me.

    I see that people are falling for these pre-determined sides and arguments and they do not fully research a topic before forming their own opinion. I am susceptible to it, too. My Facebook is full of these simple displays. I admit I do not research everything I post about.

    There is so much (dis)information out there that is a daunting challenge to engage responsibly with real fact-based information. I would love to do this. This is why I have, for most of my life, refrained from offering up my opinion on anything because I do not feel qualified to offer it on any topic with which I am not satisfied with my own knowledge.

    I agree that going back to a more classical education base would be wise. It seems that our country was booming in the mid-20th century. If we look at the educational factors therein, what can we find? I think we might find that the most influential people of that era had a more classic education. With all of the changes in our world since that time, I think it would be beneficial to present a full scope of topics as mandatory, including alternate viewpoints.

    Now I feel like I am rambling on, so I will stop, but I would like to discuss this more!

    ReplyDelete