Monday, June 28, 2010

Random notes on being a new grandparent

There's nothing more peaceful than watching a baby sleep.

Babies are cool because of what they do to adults. Hard-nosed people get all giggly, light up, and generally act totally out of character.

I'm very grateful that it is up to the young to have babies. I get worn out when I think about what Jordan and Janelle are going through right now -- worry, sleeplessness, attempts to stay up on baby care information.

I realize once again that babies are tougher than they look. Evan has a lot of strength when he twists around, and when he wants mom and dad to pay attention to him, he has no problem letting them know.

I'm glad some things have changed when it comes to childbirth. When we had our two sons, there was very little choice of birthing methods, rooms, care, and follow-up. Today it's different. Jordan and Janelle had many more options. Their hospital room was so comfortable and cozy, for example.

There are times when Evan reminds me of a little old man. He sleeps, he sucks his cheeks in and out, he seems pretty uninterested in the rest of the world. I swear there were times when Jordan in his first few months reminded me of Winston Churchill.

A baby is good as a dream producer. I think about all the things I want to do with him some day -- fish, make obnoxious sounds with both ends of our bodies, put blocks together carefully and then knock them down in a rush of male testosterone, laugh at cheesy movies, create roads outside in the dirt and play with cars and trucks there , cheer on favorite sports teams, read books to him, listen to music together, play board games.

There is no such thing as too many toys. Now when I walk past the toy stores, I see all sorts of things Evan should have. How to choose? I want the toys that we could play together with -- gotta have blocks, cars and trucks, games, a baseball. I saved some toys our kids used, so I'm planning to bring some of them out when appropriate -- Transformers, Legos, a pirate board game, car racing games, Nerf guns.

I'm looking forward to times when I show up at Jordan and Janelle's house and ask when they answer the door, "Can Evan come out and play?"

No comments:

Post a Comment