Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Retirement?

Someone at work asked me today if I had considered retirement, and, if so, when I was planning to hang up the gradebook. That made me think about my plans.

There are two ways I think I'll know when I should retire. The first is my physical state. If I can't be on my feet, or I suffer from some malady that keeps me from performing my duties as a teacher, then I'll have to quit. I'm so fortunate that my job is not physically demanding. Teaching is easy on the body. I feel sorry for construction workers, for example, who must face severe tests of their bodies as they age. What do I have to handle physically? Hold a marker in my hand, walk around the room, open my mouth, talk, stay awake in department meetings. Actually, the last item may be tougher than the others . . .

 So, how am I doing with this test? God has given me good health so far--I rarely get sick. I occasionally get students asking me if I ever get sick. I thank them for their concern, assuming they really do care about me and are not asking in the hopes of getting a day off. Sure.

The second way I'll know when to retire has to do with my psychological state. If I start waking up and dreading the day ahead, then I should retire. That hasn't happened. For example, this semester I was afraid that my Bible as literature class might not have enough students and would be canceled. I was relieved to finally reach a reasonable number that allowed the class to go. As part of my psychological test, I monitor my reaction to students. I still enjoy getting to know them; I think of them as my own children, facing so many challenges on their way to becoming useful members of our society.

So, when will I retire? Not now. I appreciate my job so much and thank God for the opportunity to teach on the college level.

No comments:

Post a Comment